[Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Fri Jul 23 12:58:27 CDT 2004

The state of Natural Building is varied...some are professionals and many are learning individuals. Agree that depending on 'professionals' doesn't guarantee that you get what you want, but does guarantee that you'll need a good deal of money = time, in a different way.

If  the only way that people can build is to do it themselves then it makes sense to do as much education and sharing of labor and info as possible. Thought that was what the Coblist was all about?

I wonder how much of a disaster or disappointment is likely when people learn from working on someone else's project (and making a few mistakes themselves) and thereby understand (again) many intuitive things about building that we knew even as kids?

                       vs.

How much empowerment and sense of belonging here on Earth are gained by building with your own hands, in a style that makes sense for your climate and technical skill level. It's important to be realistic about both...........

WRapup: I think there's ways to build a good solid building that requires fairly low technical skill levels (and associated expensive machinery) and are good for the Earth's future inhabitants. Strawbale might not be for everyone and there's def. a misunderstanding out there in the public about the realities of getting a house made that looks like their favorite coffee table book. But there's NO reason, with local straw, clay, rock, timbers (and in our case urban waste materials) that a group of semi skilled (or uneducated but trained) folks couldn't get together and build a structure that will OUTLAST many 'professional' homes - not too mention their toxic characteristics.

Marlin Nissen

           info at outtathebox.org
           www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]