[Cob] birth of the home building professional

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Sat Jul 24 13:56:43 CDT 2004

I'll ignore that "You may be careless and clueless, but maybe the rest of
us aren't."

I'll answer that "Why is one form of traditional building tiny thick-walled
houses "nothing to it" and the other a sure route to sickness and mold?"

It ought to be obvious.  Adobe doesn't mold and mildew from absorbing
moisture like strawbale.  I thought everybody understood that the
"plastering" Mexican women are doing is simply repairing adobe cracks with
more adobe. THAT's why there's nothing to it. It's EASY. Surely no one
thinks they're plastering strawbale. The original writer was arguing that
since Mexican women "plaster" their houses, why anybody can plaster
strawbale.  Might say, that doesn't...hold.....water......

The bottom line is, people who need cheaper, alternative construction
simply don't have the luxury of taking the attitude of some people out
there - the attitude that well I'll learn from my mistakes and do it over
if it's not right, and so forth. Most of us can't afford mistakes and can't
afford to rebuild. We can't take months off work to try some latest fad in
home building just because it's cool and we can feel trendy or
earth-friendly. If you want earth-friendly, build with earth.  Like maybe
COB?

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net