[Cob] cob a little more clarification

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 08:40:31 CDT 2004

I apologize for the off-topic-ness.  But semi-trustworthy sources of
information are probably good.

Thank you Google, y'all can also look this up for yourselves, we all know
how.

Legionnaire's Disease (bacterial--my recollection is don't insulate the
INSIDE of your HVAC ducts, particularly if you have a public
building--hotel, hospital, office, et cetera)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/legionellosis_g.htm

Molds.  They themselves are not toxic.  But they can PRODUCE a toxin, like
diphtheria and botulism.
Here are two links, the first, very "lets not cause a panic here" from the
CDC (BTW they recommend chlorine bleach), the second "let's get as much
money from the panic as we can" (don't bother looking at the "non-bleach
common household chemical mold remediation" page, it'll cost you $25 to get
any more information than that--but they'll send it to you by email!).

I guess I'm somewhere in between on this.  Black mold is really ugly and
scary looking.  Some acquaintances in a log cabin near Nashville nearly died
from something that might have been a mold problem--I haven't been in touch
with them since before the problem, only heard about it from a mutual
friend.  In Nashville we all found that it aggravated asthma if we had it,
but maybe not much more than that.  I do keep an ozone generator on hand to
kill off various molds and mildews when they start bothering me, and run a
HEPA air cleaner instead of a summer fan.

http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldresources.html
http://www.moldinspector.com/