[Cob] even the professionals make mistakes....

Copper Harding copperharding at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 19:51:11 CDT 2004

I just thought that I'd point out, to all those out
there that may be nervous after being told that they
will make horrible mistakes...  etc. etc.

I live near a small Junior College.  The engineering
professor of this college built a dome home a little
while back.  I, being interested in seeing another
"alternative" building, asked to see it.  No, No, you
can't see it.  It collapsed last winter - too heavy of
a snow load.   While I was brought to the
do-it-yourself couple in the next town with a
teensy-tiny dome home they've been living in for over
10 years.  If you want, I'll take a picture of the
small dome for you.  In the town south of me there is
a guy who bought a Mongolian yurt (horribly expensive
shipping costs) who put it up and has been happy with
it for years - it's surprisingly snug in a two meter
deep snow drift!

And I would like to point to a very famous
professional problem - maybe they should have used cob
;) - Recently part of the Paris Airport collapsed.  I
don't know if anyone saw the news but I suspect that
this can be a lesson to all of us, even the
professionals who don't test their mix and their
materials can have huge problems.

Thank you Barbara for the straw bale information.  For
someone who desperately needs a method of insulating
cob, yes I have built with it, yes I love it, thank
you...but for all practical purposes it needs
insulation ..

going back to playing in my mudpit...
copper

=====
Ms. Copper Harding

If you can walk, you can dance
If you can talk, you can sing  --- from Zimbabwe