[Cob] Re: Coblist Digest, Vol 2, Issue 64

Jennifer Hileman-Reinhart jennlynn at kiva.net
Mon Jul 26 19:24:31 CDT 2004

I must take a moment to clarify -

> The original writer was arguing that
> since Mexican women "plaster" their houses, why anybody can plaster
> strawbale.  Might say, that doesn't...hold.....water......

I think this would qualify as putting words in my mouth - let me take a
moment to clarify my statement that I seem to have not been clear
enough about the first time around -

First - I believe that there are some very interesting styles of
plastering from mexico that use lime that they obtain locally -  it is
not just smearing mud on the walls that they are doing. Considering
that mexico is a large country of varied climate and culture I would
say that your comments on what I was referencing were based in some
pretty generalized american southwest stereotypes - So let me clarify
as I was not overly specific in my first post - there are mexican women
who plaster (with beautiful lime plasters in the most amazing and
incredible and vibrant colors you will see) each year and they are not
"professionals"  by the american definition of a licensed contractor
working on a permitted job site. . . .

What I am saying is that plastering a home is something that anyone can
learn how to do.  It is not very mysterious, nor is it rocket science.
These women have learned to be sustainable in their environment with
indigenous materials.  I am proposing that others can learn to do the
same.  My statement about plastering was relevant to my argument that
folks can learn these skills - you do not need professionals to build a
home.  Anybody who cares to learn can plaster strawbale!  I have seen
that be true four times in the last year months at two different
building sites in my local area.  Home building is something that can
be reclaimed by the homeowner rather than the general contractor out to
make a buck.

In the natural plaster book by Cedar Rose and Daniel Chiras they go
into great detail about how to use earth plasters - it is an excellent
resource for anyone who is interested.  Experimentation can happen with
a garden wall or bench - it need not be a house.

Cedar Rose is teaching a workshop in Michigan at the Strawbale Studio,
mid september, another excellent opportunity.

Someone more qualified please feel free to offer the details but my
reading suggests that the mold problems with bales happen when proper
ventilation can not occur and/or excess moisture is being wicked up
through a foundation and if you take precautions with the foundation
and are using a natural plaster some of those risks are minimized as
excess moisture can leave the walls - my notes from a recent workshop
state that cob maintains a 3-5% moisture content - lower than the
moisture that becomes trapped in your average home.  I am not concerned
with the bales in our wall being exposed to too much moisture via the
cob that is touching it even though we have considered what might
happen if there is a problem.

We will be using all natural plasters (no cement)  earthen and lime to
finish.  Our overhang and foundation will protect from weather and
standing water.

I think that everyone would agree - it is great to hear about the
mistakes that folks make - if you get the Cob Web publication there is
a long article in the most recent issue about all the mistakes that one
owner - builder made.  Interesting read.  But I heard you saying
something like everyone out there who is experimenting is a threat to
this movement and must be stopped!  I feel that there must be those who
are willing to try and fail and learn and share that with others.

We are building a cob/bale wall.  I am pretty sure it will work.  It
has been done several times in Corvallis, Oregon at the natural
building school there and recent photo's from a workshop in Wales where
they built a home this way convinced us that it was worth a try.
Pretty chilly and damp in Wales but they went for it.

I will also say that in all things in life I have observed that those
who believe they can not do something are often right as they never
even try.

Thanks all for your time!
-jenn
Would the valleys were your streets and the green paths your alleys,
that you might seek one another through vineyards, and come with the
fragrance of the earth in your garments.