[Cob] Cob masonry stoves

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:56:12 CDT 2004

Take a look at Kiko Denzer's book on ovens.  They are made completely of
earth and cob.  Fired once in a cooking cycle, usually, then the first food
out is pizza, then various breads, and then, at least if the oven is as big
as the ones I saw in Mexico, at least, something like the 6-foot long
tamales called sacahuil that are left in overnight--a turkey might cook that
way as well.

Then you might look up Ken Kern and somebody's book on masonry stoves--his
are lined with steel drums and--sometimes at least covered with refractory
cement and some sort of cob-like mixture with an airspace so that two
materials that don't expand and contract at the same rates will work
together.  Used both for cooking and heating.

Ianto Evans' book on the subject of rocket stoves was rumored to be out "any
day now" but the last I heard he was asking for photos and stories of people
who had also done it--only a couple of months ago.  There's a small pamphlet
on the small rocket stoves out.  These also, IIRC, have a metal firebox, and
in the case of the Evans rocket stove/heated bench, a long long long mostly
horizontal chimney.

Charmaine Taylor of this list and www.dirtcheapbuilder.com wrote the rocket
stove pamphlet, carries the Kiko Denzer book, and sometimes at least a
reproduction  of the Ken Kern.

I've been planning the oven.  They are a favorite learning project for cob,
so there are pictures up on the web of various people's ovens.

And have fun!

Rudy writes:
     I am very excited to begin experimenting with
designing and building a masonry stove completely out
of cob.  This is part of the plan for my dream-home.
I am seeking advice from any brave souls who have
tried this feat with sucess or failure.
     Your responses greatly appreciated.