[Cob] birth of the home building professional

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Fri Jul 30 23:32:03 CDT 2004

I suppose I'm going to have to make another obvious point that seems to get
completely overlooked. Yes, you have cob and earthen houses built ages ago,
by people who certainly weren't professionals by todays standards. This
does not mean you can or will, without any experience, go out and build
yourself a similar home.

Those "cob homes that have been standing in the UK for 450+ years" need a
closer look. You can build a mud hut today, but bear in mind they lived
without indoor plumbing and sanitation, without electricity, without
central heat and air, with few windows -- many comforts you have come to
expect in a home today. Those "cob homes" have timber framing too. Further,
they were not built by first-time novice homeowners at all, but like any
other trade they were built by people with experience.

Cob has its uses. But if you don't know first how to build with
conventional methods and materials, you'll never run out and build a
liveable home of cob or anything else. Those who have built successfully
with alternative methods and materials first knew plumbing, ventilation,
electrical work, and appropriate heating/cooling equipment. And they spent
the money to make a house actually liveable, not just something to talk
about at some seminar.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net