[Cob] Workshop costs

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 09:50:37 CDT 2004

It's perfectly true that those workshops sound horrendously expensive.
Especially if they are hundreds of miles away.  Especially if, like me, you
are burdened by lots of friendly animals.

There have been a few people who thought that their house could be REALLY
free if they held workshops for everything.  The story in some magazine five
years ago or so had the people who tried this really really disappointed.
These guys, whoever they were, were leading the workshops on their own
house.  It strikes me that that might be a bad idea--one might be burdened
by an inability to see the forest for the trees.

By the way, it looks as if most of the high-dollar workshop leaders require
you to have gone to at least somebody's real workshop--not just helped a
neighbor stack bales--before they will come to the one that you are hosting.
  It makes sense to me.  Give one a good sense of what kind of organization
is required, what at least some of the potential problems are, how much you
can expect to have done, etc.

I'd want the workshop leader--whether I was hosting or just paying my money
to go--to be someone who came with pretty good credentials.  Not necessarily
a (THE?) book, but it would be nice to see a building, at least pictures,
talk to someone who had been at a previous workshop with or led by the
leader.

But by going to workshops you are looking for experience for yourself.  And
inspiration, and a support group, and how to avoid expensive mistakes, all
stuff that will cut down or eliminate your hiring people to do the work, or
at minimum give you the ability to oversee the people you do have to hire.

The experienced log cabin guy who worked for me last year charged $10 an
hour if the job came with a place to stay.  He said it would be $18 or more
if he had had to rent something.  Probably more than that if he'd hired a
helper, not including the price of the helper.   So a full weeks worth of
just him--he alternated between staying at my treehouse (he built it) and
his brother's house up the road--ran $400 (for better or worse he usually
didn't work full time).  This is in an area where part-time for 6-8 bucks an
hour is considered good money.

Running the numbers this way makes the costs of the workshops sound a lot
more reasonable.