[Cob] Earthen Plastering and Strawbale raising near Nevada City CA

Royce Hays royceh at ieee.org
Tue Aug 10 11:40:10 CDT 2004

It has finally arrived, bale raising at the Hays' Home near
Nevada City, California.   This is a post-and-beam strawbale
(and light-straw-clay) infill home.  In the weekends following
the bale raising we'll be making and applying the external
earthen plaster.

August 28th and 29th    Bale Raising
September 4th and 5th   Plaster Preparation and Earthen Plastering
September 11th and 12th Earthen Plastering
September 18th and 19th Earthen Plastering

For the bale raising, you will need gloves and eye protection.
You will also need plenty of fluids and sunscreen, as temps
could be pretty hot.

If you wish to come to any or all of these weekends, please
reply to me and I will send you directions.  If you wish to
be fed then you must contact us so we know how much food to get.
Food will be primarily vegetarian.

If you wish to stay the night, we have ample tent space.

These will be fun weekends (yes, stacking 70lb bales and getting
muddy while plastering IS fun), however, each of you will be
responsible for your own safety.  Don't do anything that you
aren't comfortable with. The site IS a construction site.  Kids
are welcome but you will be totally responsible for them.

Please respond if you wish to come and learn a bit about strawbale
building and plastering.  If email doesn't work for you, you can
call us at (530)292-3737.

Current pictures (and the entire history) can be seen at
http://hays5.com/photos_july_2004.htm

Thanks
Marie and Royce
---