[Cob] cobbing in Britain

Earthed earthed at macunlimited.net
Tue Aug 10 10:22:42 CDT 2004

Hi to those enquiring about cobbing in England in fact to all those out
there involved in this wonderful and creative medium,
Alan and I (Annabel) started up a cob building organisation in England last
year, called Earthed. Having apprenticed with Cob Cottage Company in the USA
we came back excited and inspired to set up our own business here in the U.K
It has all  been very exciting and also hard work at times. We have mainly
been working on funded projects with community groups, since we set
ourselves up as a not for profit  group, but are also looking to get
involved in more private work too. You can find out more about what projects
we have been involved in at our website www.earthedworld.co.uk  We spent a
fantastic Winter over in New Zealand, running a few cob oven workshops and
taking a tour of all the old cob cottages.
At present we are working out our workshops schedule for this Autumn and
also for next year. If you would like to write to us direct you can email us
at earthed at macunlimited.net
Having only recently engaged with the cob list, I have tried to respond to
some emails but to no avail so I'm hoping this time I've cracked it.
with you, email us direct .
To Jane Mondrup we sculpted the pillars of the potting shed in Falmouth as
we built the walls up which is easier but a little slower.We have also
sculpted bas relief on to the wall at a later date by wetting the part of
the wall you want to work on and then digging a channel/key for the new cob
to adhere to. If you want your bas relief to be larger then you can always
cob in wood that sticks out beyond the edge of the walls as you build them
up which again can act as something for the later cob you use for sculpting
to adhere to.
To Robert Mathews we would love to come and cob in Spain and if we have no
workshops you can come on before next Spring then perhaps we could run one
on your piece of land. We will email you shortly.
We have just written an article recently for Permaculture Magazine which I
believe is read internationally, entitled 'Grow Your Own Building' in the
Autumn issue No.41 and for the next Kindred Spirit.
It is great to hear about all those people out there committed to the cause
of dancing in the earth, it is good to know there is all that support out
there.
Muddy Wishes to you all
Annabel

This email was sent online by