[Cob] Cob in British Columbia

Firstbrook, Will wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca
Fri Aug 13 12:14:16 CDT 2004

Hi,

Most of the cob construction is closer to the coast where the winters &
summers are milder due to the ocean. We built a strawbale cabin in the
Shuswap and were intending to build a cob, strawbale, strawclay,
earthship hybrid there. One of the things that was attractive was the
area we built in is not zoned so no building permits or inspectors are
necessary. We did require septic inspection and electrical inspection.

Perhaps you can inquire if any of the area around hope is not zoned or
do all buildings in the region require a building inspector. You might
want to talk to Patrick or Elke of www.cobworks.com Patrick invited all
the building inspectors on Maine Island to his cob workshop so I believe
his cob cottage was the 1st code approved cob structure in the region.

With regards to the cold climate around Hope. You might look for an
south facing slope that is not hidden by the mountains to the south. Or
your winters will be quite cold. You might consider cob for the parts
facing the sun and strawbale, cordwood or strawclay for the North and
sections that do not get much sunlight. Also build in a masonry stove
with lots of mass to keep the winter months warm and comfortable.

Regards,
Will