[Cob] Re: Cob in British Columbia

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 13:31:04 CDT 2004

As far as I can tell, the big thing with cob (among many other styles of
building, including conventional) is moisture control.  You don't want
hydraulic pressure on it--or its foundation, let alone streams of water
washing down the hill onto it.  Cob tempers indoor humidity pretty well, but
does it do well in the rain forest (tropical or temperate)?  Ask somebody,
keep your eyes open. (how humid is the area with cob houses in New Zealand?
how do those old old old cob houses in Britain do)  You could report back.

If you can keep moisture out/off of it, and are able to put a really solid
base down, I'd think that most anything would take an earthen floor.  Not
for your second story condo, especially if it was the one in Nashville TN
that was rumored to sway before the brick facing was put up.

Actually, maybe not for second stories period.  I'm not planning it.

Patrick and Chris wrote:

----------
Thanks to all (especially Ian for the enjoyable phone conversation!) for the
links, information, and inspiration.

We're packing to head up into BC shortly, so will be in pondering mode for a
bit. A couple of things I'll be pondering (and would welcome comment upon).
- Earthen floors for thermal mass in a more conventional structure
- Covering strawbales with cob (does the cob share the load-bearing?)
- Has anyone ever considered interior walls of cob in a conventional
structure (if cob is not feasible wherever we end up)?

I imagine we'll be in brainstorming mode for some time. Thanks for your help
and thoughts - this list is fascinating!

Cheers!
  - Patrick & Chris