[Cob] anybody need free labor?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 12:24:22 CDT 2004

I don't think I do agree with PJ, although I'm pretty ambivalent about it.

And that kind of begs the question about what if the stuff constructed is a)
in the home territory of the expert, b) a third-world, Habitat for Humanity,
etc. project.

Can the experts afford to charge for those--for organizing, getting
insurance, providing camping areas, showers, some food if workshop
participants don't have to pay to go to a workshop at a private home?

My guess is that I would spend a month of serious work (100+ hours) with
hired help getting my place ready for twenty people to descend on it to work
for a weekend.  Not sure I'd be up for that plus a couple of grand for the
experts.

Are the experts allowed to make money?  I've no idea what royalties from
books are, but not too many people earn a living from those alone.  (My dad
wrote a fairly well received memoir, but he ended having to get a grant to
have it published--it wasn't a "vanity press" deal, but still money headed
out, not in.  Movie rights were never an issue, and I think that's where the
money is)

I had a floor party, I provided pizza and stuff to drink.  A few people came
from nearby.  It was fun.  We got stuff done.  But it kind of was the blind
leading the blind.

I've been to a handful of "come help us" things--a couple of SB buildings,
getting a friend's place cleaned up enough for construction, even went out
of state to work once.  These are fine.  I love them.  I'll continue to do
them.  But even with a short talk at the beginning of one of the SB
projects, I don't think I got anywhere near the instruction that I should
have gotten--or given--from an expert in a for-profit situation.  No
handouts, etc.

So I am up for both kinds of situations.

PJ wrote:

IMHO concerning the whole idea of charging for workshops.  If one is
conducting a workshop to build one's own home/barn/etc.  That person should
assume the responsibility of paying for the expert(s) and at least some of
the food and facilities.  That being said, people who attend workshops
should also have the proper consideration for the people who are giving it.
Attendees should pick up after themselves, follow the host's lead as to
bedtimes, etc., not bring children or dogs (unless invited to do so), and
volunteer to help with chores associated with the workshop other than things
directly involved in the workshop (dishes, cooking, etc.)  Perhaps this is a
given, but there are always those who cannot help but take advantage.
Comments?