[Cob] wood stove

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:41:20 CDT 2004

I wanted a heated cob bench for the little room down at the barn.  Everybody
I knew in Tennessee screamed at me that it would be a disaster, that long
horizontal runs were an invitation to creosote buildup and chimney fires,
that nobody could do a heated bench right.  There was a thread here at the
time.

a) the rocket stove book is out.  Shannon posted us a link a bit ago.
http://www.cobcottage.com/cob-info.html

b) my friends may have been right in that a standard wood stove of the kind
they were used to, no matter how nice, and long long horizontal chimney runs
don't mix very well, especially with large chunks of wood.  A run from the
exit of the wood stove DOWN to a cob bench might well be a really bad idea.

c) the way to prevent creosote buildup, as I recall from the thread at the
time, is to have a hot hot fire with kindling sized wood and lots of air.
Possibly even with the firebox outside the building.

Pack writes:
A friend of mine is building a cob/earthbag home.  She wants
to use an airtight wood stove she has on hand to heat the building.
Can she route the stoves stack through a cob bench?  Like a rocket stove.
Does she need to build a heat riser (like a rocket stove uses)?
Does she take the chance of backdraft, a smoky house, or worse?
thanks for your help