[Cob] wood stove

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Thu Aug 26 08:35:56 CDT 2004

We have a finnish mass oven with a smoke / heating bench in our main house
and it works quite well, exept when we forgot to cleane away the ashed so
the air couldn't get to the burning chamber. This created a ridiculous
amount of smoke.

Mass ovens burn the smoke gasses as well as the fuel itself, and I guess
that's the crucial thing.  You should probably only use smoke benches with
an oven that burns the soot away - anyway this is the only environmentally
sensible thing to have. It might also be of importance that the oven is
for firing quite large amount of fuel once a day or so, and letting the
oven store the heat for the rest of the time. That, of course, means that
the burning temperature will be quite high.