[Cob] Cob oven/furnace hot water heating

Peter Kaulback peter at thesilverwheel.ca
Fri Aug 27 09:25:59 CDT 2004

We currently have a wood fired furnace enclosed in a water jacket which
pumps hot water into a large barn and through some old radiators behind
high speed fans.

The problem is that this setup fights continually to produce enough heat to
maintain 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit 24 hours a day. Let alone for 6 hours :(

We don't have a thermometer to measure oven temps but we do have one for
the water temp in the top of the jacket.

Has anyone ever used a cob or masonry oven/furnace to accomplish such a thing?

I'm constantly wondering about internal temperatures with this setup in
place, number one is wood consumption. This furnace consumes about one and
one half cords per day, fed every six hours. It's backbreaking to be mild :)

Any idea's would be most welcome!

Peter Kaulback