[Cob] rocket stove & radiant floor tubes

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 1 10:33:09 CDT 2004

Pex tubing is made to be resistant to fairly high temps.  At the very least probably like 250 degrees.  Its used in all kinds of hot water applications.  However, I am not familiar with how hot the floor under a rocket stove might get.

My concern would be with the fact that, if there were any heat being absorbed into the floor, not that it would directly melt the pex, per se, but that the constant expansion/contraction of the tubing *in that particular spot* might weaken the tubing.

My suggestion would be to be sure you had maybe a stone base under the stove or, like Amanda said, some form of mass between it and the floor.

Quinn