[Cob] Earthen Plastering Sept 11-12 and Sept 18-19 near Nevada City, CA.

Royce Hays royceh at ieee.org
Tue Sep 7 17:52:58 CDT 2004

Come one - Come all!  We will be applying earthen plaster to our
strawbale and light-straw-clay walls Sept 11-12 and Sept 18-19.
The earthen plaster will be applied in three stages: a slip coat
(light coating of clay and water); a base coat (about a 1 inch
layer of clay, sand, and straw); and a finish layer (a 1/2 inch
layer of clay, sand, horse manure, and 2% linseed oil).

The slip coat for the Active house has been completed and we
will apply the slip coat for the Quiet house mechanically. We
will be doing the entire process for the earthen plaster during
these weekends, including the sifting of the clay, chopping the
straw, mixing these with sand and water into a plaster with a
mixer, and applying the plaster manually by hand onto the bale
and light-straw-clay walls.

Meals will be provided.  We have ample tent space for folks that
wish to camp the nights.  There is no fee for these weekends.
We would like folks to RSVP so that we have a rough idea of how
much food to prepare for each day.

For more info, directions, and pictures, see:
http://hays5.com/directions.htm

To RSVP or more info, call Marie or Royce at (530)292-3737 or
(530)713-4402.  Or you can email back at royce at hays5.com.

-- Royce

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here