[Cob] Earthen floor cracks--Help!

dorethy at juno.com dorethy at juno.com
Mon Sep 13 20:12:17 CDT 2004

I've just finished the 3rd layer of earthen floor.  The first, over a radiant heat coil system, was about 3 1/2 inches deep; the second, about 1 1/2"; and the final (I thought!) layer about 5/8".  All went on well, and they all cracked a bit.  I wasn't worried about the first and second layer, but I don't know what to do now.

I was all set to put on 4 coats of linseed oil and have it done in two weeks or so.  This layer went down over 4 days, so the first one may be dry enough to walk on.  Alas, that probably also means that it is too late to add more mix and expect to be able to smooth over the cracks without ruining the lovely surface I had.

I feel sure the mix did not have too much clay.  My recipe was 4 parts finely screened sand to 1 part clay, plus a couple good handsful finely screened chopped straw and a couple handsful strained horse & cow manure, with just enough water to be trowelable.  It's a dark, reddish chocolate brown, and I love it, but am so disappointed it cracked at every section line, almost; and I was so careful to roughen the edges and force enough mix into those joined edges.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Dorethy from Kansas

Get your name as your email address.