[Cob] Newbie w/ Questions about 1st project

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:48:52 CDT 2004

Australians and those who read a lot of British mysteries both occasionally
use British language.

You could look up "stem-wall" as well.  From the beginning the straw bale
revival people have highly recommended a stem-wall to keep your straw off
the ground--outside--AND the floor--inside, so that some sort of
disaster--leak in the washing machine, somebody forgot they'd started
filling the tub for a bath, tree comes down on part of the roof, etc.,
doesn't do unfixable things to your walls--six inches (or more) are
recommended for inside.

The "rubble trench foundation" probably works best on some kind of slope.
Dig a nice big trench--maybe not much wider than your walls, and variably
recommended as to depth.  I've seen both "to frost depth" and "you don't
need that much because you've got a drain."  In the bottom of the trench put
a bit of gravel, a bunch of those drain sticks with the big holes on the
top, run the whole mess downward all the way to daylight. Then, fill the
trench with really well tamped--one local person recommended fairly small
gravel--it just about rings when it's right.   If you're really on a slope a
swale or even two--with or without gravel and more drains again to daylight
in them--farther up the hill.  Water right around the house is bad stuff, no
matter how you are building.

There's also something very similar called the "insulated frost-free
foundation."  Somewhere around the same thing with insulation in the ground,
or possibly angled out to protect the ground right by the house from
freezing.

Then, at or just about to ground level, start your stem-wall.  Recommended
at least a foot, more likely a foot and a half.  Whatever--nice and
green--urbanite (broken up concrete), local stone, or easier to get someone
to do this for you--concrete block.  This does need to support the width of
the bottom of the wall.

Between both the rubble trench foundation (Frank Lloyd Wright used these,
they worked a lot better than his roofs) and the stemwall you may have
enough drainage/spacing that you can avoid vapor barriers.  But we're
talking about a layer or two of tarpaper here, with holes so that rebar or
something could go from the stem-wall into the cob or straw.  Conceivably
aluminum flashing (although that might be iffy if you were putting it onto a
rough stone wall).

Remember that if you were building a 2x4 stick house somewhere you would get
to start with a wall because you wouldn't want to have soil--termite-bearing
dirt--within about 18" of your wood.

Both cob and straw-bale do exist happily in quite damp areas.  Down in a
dark hollow (where the sun refuse to shine!--I've got them, even if I'm not
planning to build in one) or deep in the woods with overhanging dripping
trees may make a difference.  I'm thinking I want not much in the way of
steps into the house, but there are straw bale and presumably cob houses
built over crawl-spaces or  basements.

Kathy wrote (snipped)

 > I didn't see mention of a dampcourse between your stones and first layer
of
 > cob. This is critical to stop rising damp.
  > Lance

I've chosen NOT to use anything to prevent the water from rising through my
wall because what ya put in there to stop water rising ALSO prevents water
that does get in from drying out.

I'm sort of doubtful at this stage if COB is going to be a good material for
me to use in my particular site (despite reading all the assurances of many
sites which claim all ya need to make cob feasible in damp climates are good
"hats and boots" approach & lime plasters).