[Cob] oil and cob, floors, too

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Tue Sep 14 10:33:42 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:55:01AM -0500, Amanda Peck wrote:

> Linseed oil dries nicely.  Boiled dries a lot faster than the raw, say the
> people who finish furniture.  I did test with boiled, coated some wood with
> boiled.  The last coat may well be visible on top of the original surface,
> if my brick is any indication. of how it works.  No problems with
> stickiness after it dries, but don't paint yourself into a corner.
> (Boiling linseed oil is apparently a "don't try this at home" thing, by the
> way.  It's been known to explode)

My understanding is that "boiled linseed oil" isn't actually boiled.
It has various chemicals (usually nasty and lead based) added to it to
make it dry quicker.  Buildingforhealth.com sells some linseed oil
that has some less-nasty things added to it to make it dry quicker; I
bought some for a floor I finished last month, and it worked great.
It's made by bioshield.  A little pricey though, but with kids playing
on this floor (and likely babies licking it at some point) I didn't
want lead in the top layer :)

				-Clint