[Cob] burnt mud

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Sep 19 20:40:31 CDT 2004

Hi Copper I looked at the text of that site.  It was common for Romans
to burn field mud, to mix with lime to make cements   ie Roman
Cements... the dung and straw would be fuel to change the chemistry of
the burned field clay.

Once burned he clay is now reactive with lime and when added to it sets
quickly with water and makes hydraulic   material.  Clays are burned
now by Mfgs of OPC to make cement   so it is a common process, well
refined in commercial use.

   Used bric dust yourself, or finding a sticky 'gumbo'clay when mixed
with limes gives a faster set...but not as good as burned clays.

Natural hydraulic lime has high clay content naturally, which is why
the evil OPC makers bought up all the mines in the US  back in the
50-60s  and it is now imported at great cost by Transmineral USA,-- the
   St. Austier French lime.

it is a great product when you need the lime to set fast... but  for
plasters and general use regular lime with a fine silica clay added can
do as well for strong plasters/mortars.

>  Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com