[Cob] earthquake test # 2

Ian Marcuse dtebb at alternatives.com
Tue Sep 21 02:17:13 CDT 2004

Re: Siesmic Test # 2

As some of you may recall, we tested a scale model cob building on a
siesmic shake table a few weeks ago at the University of British
Columbia. The building received a massive pounding, but did not
simulate an earthquake as it was supposed to, due to problems with
the hydraulics. Despite the massive pounding, the building received
only minor damage.

Today, with the hydraulics repaired, we successfully conducted our
tests. The model, which was about 6 ft diameter and 5 ft high, easily
handled a 7.4 richter quake with only minor cracks. And this was
after the previous pounding that certainly compromised the structure
for todays testing. This quake simulated a particular quake in
California that was particularily destructive to buildings. Finally,
the building was given a 2 g force shake, something closer to a 9
richter and at the epicenter. As was expected the building was shaken
apart. This would be a very rare quake and no building would easily
survive this level of quake.

Amazingly, despite such a violent shake, the building remained
standing, though large chunks of cob had fallen away from the
building. Anyone inside would have survived as the roof remained in
place and no large cob fell inward. There was considerable rocking of
the building from side to side which points to the importance of
tying/keying in the building to the foundation well, although I
expect that the failure would then be the mortar in the stone
foundation. Another interesting observation was the amount of
shearing, probably at horizontal layers that were not tied together
so well. Embedding bamboo dowels or something like this throughout
the walls would greatly reduce this type of failure. I am not an
engineer so we will have to await their report. The engineers however
were very impressed by cob's performance and now have some good data
and video footage to explore ways to increase cob's strength for
those of us in earthquake zones.

At some point soon, we will try to get the video of the siesmic test
up on the internet.

Ian Marcuse
Down To Earth Building Bee
www.stanleyparkcob.ca