[Cob] earthquake test # 2

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:34:48 CDT 2004

Great!

Ian wrote (snipped):

Re: Siesmic Test # 2

Today, with the hydraulics repaired, we successfully conducted our tests.
The model, which was about 6 ft diameter and 5 ft high, easily handled a 7.4
richter quake with only minor cracks. And this was after the previous
pounding that certainly compromised the structure for todays testing. This
quake simulated a particular quake in California that was particularily
destructive to buildings. Finally, the building was given a 2 g force shake,
something closer to a 9 richter and at the epicenter. As was expected the
building was shaken apart. This would be a very rare quake and no building
would easily survive this level of quake.

Amazingly, despite such a violent shake, the building remained standing,
though large chunks of cob had fallen away from the building.