[Cob] RE: Adhesion/bonding of PVC and Cob

littlehouseantiques at att.net littlehouseantiques at att.net
Sat Oct 2 03:41:08 CDT 2004

Not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination but seriously doubt that COB and PVC form a bond
of any kind (molecular or otherwise!)

I, like David, believe that the reason that PVC wouldn't come out is because a vacuum was created
between it and the cob.

Reason I think this is that I have many times used 4 inch PVC pipe as a "form" when making pots and
planters with hypertufa and believe me it is the VERY dickens to "break" the vacuum that is created
between the surface of tufa and PVC...just when you think nothing short of dynamite is gonna get that PVC
to move, you will hear a little "wooshing" sound of the air rushing in there and then and ONLY then can
you pull the PVC out of the hypertufa (and even after the vacuum seal has been breached it is still very
tough to remove!)    The smoothness of the PVC should make it an excellent material to use as a form because other materials will not "stick" to it (tufa, clay, cob, etc.) however, I think it is the rigidity of the PVC that causes the vacuum and the removal difficulties.

Kathy in PA

-------------- Original message from "David Knowlton" : --------------