[Cob] RE: Adhesion/bonding of PVC and Cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 08:35:25 CDT 2004

Probably right.  PVC is nowhere near as slick as straight vinyl, it comes
with numbers and specs stamped on it, you can write on it, and IIRC it
stains from contact with red clay.  (Art professor in Alabama gave his
students the challenge of writing on vinyl--gutters or something, nobody
succeeded in making a permanent mark on it.  From personal experience,
sharpies and asphalt paint don't work, sharpies just wipe off, paint peels).
James Thompson wrote (snipped)

Ok, I'm going to weigh in on the cob/PVC question...

I don't buy the vacuum theory, for a couple reasons:  there's no change in
airspace when you pull an open piece of pipe through cob, and also cob is
not air-tight.  Any vacuum that did occur would be quickly filled with air.

For me, the described example is somewhat analogous to pulling a nail out of
a piece of wood.  I have two theories on what's going on: