[Cob] RE: Adhesion/bonding of PVC and Cob

James Thomson james at thelongwayhome.net
Thu Oct 7 00:56:22 CDT 2004

Ok, I'm going to weigh in on the cob/PVC question...

I don't buy the vacuum theory, for a couple reasons:  there's no change
in airspace when you pull an open piece of pipe through cob, and also
cob is not air-tight.  Any vacuum that did occur would be quickly filled
with air.

For me, the described example is somewhat analogous to pulling a nail
out of a piece of wood.  I have two theories on what's going on:

1st and most likely, is that the shrinking of the cob that occurs when
it dries clamps down on the pipe and simple friction makes it difficult
to pull out.  The same thing happens with glass, metal, and other kinds
of plastic.

2nd, and maybe little far-fetched, is that there is actually a molecular
bond between the clay and the PVC.  Clay molecules carry a slight
negative charge, which is why they bond so nicely with water.  I don't
know anything about the chemistry of PVC, but if it has any potential
for a positive charge, there could be a slight molecular bond.

I'm always amazed by how well cob sticks to just about anything: glass,
metal, rubber, shoes, skin... clay is amazing stuff!

just my $0.02,
James

BTW- See the movie "Blue Vinyl" before you use any more PVC... Yikes!