[Cob] more on papercrete

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Oct 19 12:17:32 CDT 2004

Well... you can try adding boiling water to paper, and  by letting it
set for a day to help break it down,   Getting cross shredded paper (
smallest possible bits) is best.   Most  copy shops, legal offices,
Staples, Office Despot and others have bags of it to recycle, and you
can haul it away free.  add the hot water ( add a tiny amount of bleach
if it will sit for long)

You can hand mix shredded paper and clay, I add lime of course, and
have been making papercob,  and cobwood (with sawdust) for 5 years now.
as a plaster, and it is great.  adding  recycled gyp drywall crumbled
to dust, is a great filler for the paper clay plaster.

lots of folks have caught on to this...the more clay the less the fire
ability, and with clay and lime in paper  it may not burn at all.

Becky Bee started adding paper after she and I talked about it 4 years
ago. And paper and clay  comes from the art world where sculpting is
done..so books on that topic can help.  you can BUY $$ pulped paper for
art, but using shredded stuff is cheaper.

I make a Chinese paper-lime plaster recipe for my walls, which will not
burn..period.   SO you can have a nice  whitish  plaster with shredded
office paper, and lime soaked together.   some hand mixing can make it
ready to place on the walls, and adding a bit of sand give it more
body, and changed the texture.

  [Rainbow- I will include a recipe with you recent ord]er.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
New& Used books:  www.tomfolio.com & www.biblio.com