[Cob] Sill plates?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:33:51 CDT 2004

Glad to hear the report on tiller mix cob, although I'd agree with you that
the butter beans were a higher priority.  Glad to hear you're working again.

I'd think that a plate or box between the cob and the ceiling joists would
prevent the joists from burying themselves in the cob--when people were
jumping up there, or there was a biggish wind.  Maybe not quite the same
idea as spreading out the load.
Kim West wrote (snipped):

All that aside, we do have a couple questions if anyone here has answers. We
are almost to the top of the door frames on the first story, and the second
story will be stick frame or something similar. We are wondering if a sill
plate will be necessary under the floor joists between the first story cob
and the second story, or can the second story be added with each floor joist
sitting in the cob, or sitting in the cob atop a short piece of wood, or
what?  Wouldn't it be more stable if a sill plate were used to distribute
the weight of the second story across the cob much the same as the wide
foundation was needed to distribute the weight of the cob across the earth?