[Cob] Sill plates and tractor cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 29 12:47:21 CDT 2004

That sounds wonderful!  Time has put a whole lot of people off.  Including
me.

Barbara wrote:

As for tractor cob, with proper layering and mixing, we find it superior to
foot cob, and
much faster.  We can mix drier which means with simple plywood forms we can
go
higher in one day's working without the spluging associated with wetter
mixes.  With
help we can put up four feet by the length of the building in one day.  A
locally
devised slipform board approach will probably be detailed in the next
California
Straw Building Assn. newsletter (CASBA).  You can subscribe at
www.strawbuilding.org/  The technique means that cob is approaching stick
framing
in terms of time when you account for providing thermal mass and a wall
that's ready
to plaster.

Barbara