[Cob] Sill plates and tractor cob

roemiller at infostations.net roemiller at infostations.net
Fri Oct 29 11:17:40 CDT 2004

Spreading the load and securing the framing and roof are both good reasons
to use
sill plates for a second story.  The cob buildings we're currently working
on or that are
being built in our community in the Sierra Foothills with moderate seismic
risk, have
all thread ties  secured to the steel in the foundation, and running up to
the top plate.
This method of tying the top plate to the foundation provides integrity to
the structure
as well as a means of securing the roof to the top plate, through the cob
to the sill
plate, and finally to the foundation.  We use a mechanical tie for the roof
rafters to top
plate connection, such as hurricane clips or plumber's tape with the same
nailing
pattern as would be required in conventional framing.  It's probably
overkill when the
roof is a living one (because the weight alone would hold it in place - no
hurricanes
here), but that's what we're comfortable with in our seismic activity.  We
want
everything to be tied together and work as a unit which will translate
forces
throughout the structure rather than allowing them to demolish a weak point
and
thereby compromise the structure.

As for tractor cob, with proper layering and mixing, we find it superior to
foot cob, and
much faster.  We can mix drier which means with simple plywood forms we can
go
higher in one day's working without the spluging associated with wetter
mixes.  With
help we can put up four feet by the length of the building in one day.  A
locally
devised slipform board approach will probably be detailed in the next
California
Straw Building Assn. newsletter (CASBA).  You can subscribe at
www.strawbuilding.org/  The technique means that cob is approaching stick
framing
in terms of time when you account for providing thermal mass and a wall
that's ready
to plaster.

Barbara

http://mail2web.com/ .