[Cob] rocket stove

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 09:06:24 CST 2004

IANTO SAYS that there are some of them that have worked for 9 years. But
those would have been the early prototypes.  We haven't been able to send
them back in a time machine to the sixties so we could see now how they've
held up.

Ken Kern designed masonry clad barrel stoves back before rocket stoves.
Anybody know how well they've stood up?  I'm too lazy to fish out the book
right now, but I think his prototype was well over a decade old when he
wrote (Charmaine, can you put that back into your catalog?).
Lisa joins the rest of us in wondering:

I had a question about the longevity of the rocket stove. I have  concern
about the metal barrel burning out over time, I know my old barrel wood
stove eventually gave out. It just doesn't seem like it would be very easy
to replace the barrel.
I'm wondering if there are any thoughts on
    * how long it would take for a barrel to give out.
    * How one would replace it.
    * Or if there is a material that might last longer.
On the same vein, in the rocket stove book Ianto talks about the bricks and
how no matter what type you use eventually they will break down. I wonder if
there is any idea on how long this could take and how we would go about
replacing or even knowing such a thing happened.

One of my concerns is things breaking inside where I can't see it and some
type of smoke filling the house while we sleep or some type of oxygen
stealing event like you hear on the news.

My other concern is that this might only be a viable stove for maybe less
then ten years and if that is the case I'd like to think on that in my
design if possible.

Lisa

Lisa King
Coordinator Federal Valley Watershed