[Cob] Aspiring Pennsylvania Cobber

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 08:24:06 CST 2004

Welcome to the list.  There are or were a couple of people in West Virginia
on the list.  Haven't heard from them in a while, though.  And I'm not sure
where in West Virginia either.

People who go to those--expensive sounding--workshops often say that they
are definitely worth it, especially compared to the price of a home.  I've
helped other people, and found I learned immense amounts even a) with my
extensive background in reading and b) without the formal instruction you
would get in a paid workshop.

And/or, you can start with a small project--bench, wall, or the more exotic
OVEN.

Most of my experience involves chinking a log cabin (needs to be redone, a
lot of it fell out! at a guess, there was more wood shrinkage than my log
cabin expert had thought there would be), and a floor for the same building.
  Not much, and not much to tell me how a building will stand up.  I wish we
had gotten to the oven this past summer.

Steve Koch wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania and am looking for information and or a  volunteer
situation where I could effectively learn the basics of building with  cob,
cordwood, etc. as well as plaster mixes based on the Northeast  climate. I
am
looking to design and build some sort of hybrid two family  structure within
the
next two years. I want to celebrate a mix of  alternative building
practices.
Areas I am most concerned with are; foundation  alternatives and insulative
choices. I would like to stick to as close to  a 100% natural approach as
possible. Thanks for any help or information you  can afford me.