[Cob] Aspiring Pennsylvania Cobber

Leslie Harvey leslitahar at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 09:33:49 CST 2004

Hi Steve!
I really would recommend taking a workshop or two as well as getting some of the leading books. I did a Cob Cottage workshop years ago and it was well worth the time and money. Also, there is a group near me here in SW PA who have been to workshops in NC (Kleiwerks?) and these folks have offered beginner courses through the local community college. I'm not sure if they're still together or not. If you're close to Pittsburgh I could find out for you.

A word of caution, though: within the past couple of years PA has stripped control over building codes away from the local townships to the point where even conventional builders are grumbling. The last I heard, some "transgressions" were even considered felonious.

Best of luck.
Leslie

SKoch18 at aol.com wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania and am looking for information and or a volunteer
situation where I could effectively learn the basics of building with cob...

I am looking to design and build some sort of hybrid two family structure within the next two years. I want to celebrate a mix of alternative building practices...
Steve Koch

"Though men now possess the power to dominate and exploit every corner of the natural world, nothing in that fact implies that they have the right or the need to do so."    ----Edward Abbey