[Cob] reinforcing!!

Joe Skeesick joe at skeesick.com
Mon Nov 22 10:01:02 CST 2004

(sorry, originally replied only to the sender)

Rebar doesn't work well and in fact can wick moisture up into the wall. It
also tends to corrode inside the wall making a week spot. In repairing cob
walls in the UK we would put through a sort of "screw" of stainless steel
reinforce cracked areas. These were drilled in at angles to the crack. They
were not however used at all in new builds. The reinforcement in cob comes
from the straw. It is conceivable that a man made fiber of some sort could
be used to help increase tensile strength of cob. Something like a
fiberglass or Kevlar fiber MIGHT do the trick but that is shear speculation
on my part. Otherwise the best way to strengthen a cob wall is to make it
thicker and minimize unbroken lengths of straight wall. Curves are fine but
intersecting cob walls or buttresses do the job just fine.