[Cob] Re: Screening clay for floors & plasters

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu Dec 9 18:28:53 CST 2004

Hey Ed, Amanda, all,

I've had no trouble making and applying volumes and volumes of
plaster/floor mix (200 linear feet of wall, 600 sq. ft. of floor) with
a very simple procedure:

1. Whip beautiful red clay in a 55 gallon drum with enough water to
cover, resulting in a nice runny clay slip.  I use a 1/2" drill and
drywall "beater" to whip the slip.

2. Pour the clay through a 1/4" mesh (hardware cloth), screeding a bit
back & forth with a 2x4 block.

3. I don't do a second screening, just mix this slip with river sand,
ratio is 3:1 (sand to clay) in an Imer electric cement mixer for
plaster.  For floor finish I'd go with a higher ration - 5:1 or more
(Ianto told me 7:1 for his floors !!)  I don't worry about rocks in my
slip, since the sand also has small rocks approaching 1/8-1/4".

4. I spray in enough water to the mixer to make sure the clay slip
completely coats all the sand particles.  Then I add chopped straw
which has been screened with a 1/2" mesh.  The straw absorbs enough of
the water in the clay/sand to make a nice consistency.

5. The trick to getting a smooth finish is in the floating after the
plaster/floor finish is applied.  "Floating" brings the fines up to the
surface, and forces all the bigger stuff (rocks, chunks of unmixed
clay, etc.) deeper down, resulting in a very beautiful smooth wall or
floor.  On walls we float with stainless steel Japanese trowels, which
I love!  For the floor a nice cement float works well.

Good luck, but don't worry about screening out those little sharp
rocks.  I've never had the patience for an 1/8" screen, though for very
fine sculpture work, Kiko uses very fine sand and clay, plus grass-fed
cow manure.  He has some beautiful bas relief sculptures on exhibit at
Intabas, you can see pictures of his sculptures on our website:
http://www.intabas.com

Happy "Cob"-mas!

Ocean
Intaba's Restaurant, Corvallis, Oregon
http://www.intabas.com
Ahimsa Sanctuary for Peacemaking and Sustainable Living, Philomath,
Oregon
http://www.peacemaking.org