[Cob] Re: Screening clay for floors & plasters

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:32:24 CST 2004

Sounds good.  We stomped for our mixing, so sharp little rocks hurt, and
it's really time consuming. probably especially with the wood shavings, even
if it did give us an even mix.  A pool float worked well to give a nice
smooth float finish.  We had a couple of cracks where we forgot to pound the
mixture down into the gravel below.  I've repaired those, but not finished
the design.  One of these years.

Those pictures are lovely.

And happy cob-mas to y'all too.

Ocean wrote:
I've had no trouble making and applying volumes and volumes of plaster/floor
mix (200 linear feet of wall, 600 sq. ft. of floor) with a very simple
procedure:

1. Whip beautiful red clay in a 55 gallon drum with enough water to cover,
resulting in a nice runny clay slip.  I use a 1/2" drill and drywall
"beater" to whip the slip.

2. Pour the clay through a 1/4" mesh (hardware cloth), screeding a bit back
& forth with a 2x4 block.

3. I don't do a second screening, just mix this slip with river sand, ratio
is 3:1 (sand to clay) in an Imer electric cement mixer for plaster.  For
floor finish I'd go with a higher ration - 5:1 or more (Ianto told me 7:1
for his floors !!)  I don't worry about rocks in my slip, since the sand
also has small rocks approaching 1/8-1/4".

4. I spray in enough water to the mixer to make sure the clay slip
completely coats all the sand particles.  Then I add chopped straw which has
been screened with a 1/2" mesh.  The straw absorbs enough of the water in
the clay/sand to make a nice consistency.

5. The trick to getting a smooth finish is in the floating after the
plaster/floor finish is applied.  "Floating" brings the fines up to the
surface, and forces all the bigger stuff (rocks, chunks of unmixed clay,
etc.) deeper down, resulting in a very beautiful smooth wall or floor.  On
walls we float with stainless steel Japanese trowels, which I love!  For the
floor a nice cement float works well.

Good luck, but don't worry about screening out those little sharp rocks.
I've never had the patience for an 1/8" screen, though for very fine
sculpture work, Kiko uses very fine sand and clay, plus grass-fed cow
manure.  He has some beautiful bas relief sculptures on exhibit at Intabas,
you can see pictures of his sculptures on our website:
http://www.intabas.com