[Cob] Re: Screening clay for floors & plasters

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 10 00:59:21 CST 2004

Where I am piles of dirt are mostly dry for about four months of the
year.   It would never occur to me to sieve wet material.

I have an old chain link gate about 10 feet by 4.   I prop this up to about
45 degrees and shovel soil onto the gate.  Pieces larger than about an inch
roll down the mesh and smaller stuff drops through.  If I want smaller
pieces I put a finer mesh over the chain link and sieve again.  And for
very fine sieving I use a garden sieve over a wheel barrow.

It's also possible to sieve fairly moist material this way but a much
higher proportion fails to drop though and has to be shovelled a second or
third time.

I would recommend planning ahead and getting your clay sieved in the summer
when it's dry.

Lance