[Cob] Difference between cob and rammed earth (reinforcing)

Bonnie Morse bonnie.morse at content-mgmt.com
Fri Dec 10 23:22:10 CST 2004

I think reinforcing with bamboo is a great idea.  I keep reading that a cob
house will withstand a 7.x earthquake at least as well as a wood-frame
house.  But we in the Pacific Northwest are overdue for an 8.x, or maybe
even a 9, earthquake.  If we get one in my lifetime, and all the wood-frame
structures in my town collapse, I'd like for my cob house (so far still a
sparkle in my eye) to be still standing.  After all...it might have to serve
as the local hospital for awhile!

I do have a lingering curiousness about your earthquake tests.  Of
necessity, you used a small structure...was it 5 feet tall?  Any small
"thing" will be stronger than a larger "thing".  So a 5' structure will
withstand a 7.2 earthquake much better than a 10' structure.  I assume--and
please correct me if I'm wrong--you compensated by building the walls
narrower than you would a real cob house.  Did you have to do anything else
in order to make your results reflect how a real house would behave?

Thanks,
Bonnie in OR