[Cob] Difference between cob and rammed earth (reinforcing)

Ian Marcuse dtebb at alternatives.com
Sat Dec 11 00:01:32 CST 2004

The structure was about 5ft tall 6 ft diameter. The walls (8 inches),
roof, doors, everything was scaled down in proportion and the test
was of course calibrated (or whatever the word is) for this size
structure and to make the data relevant to a larger building. The
roof was loaded also to represent an actual building. We did not
build a foundation though which would have given us much different
results I am sure and would be a very important test to conduct at
some time. We are hoping the engineers are preparing a report though
I have not heard anything yet. At a 7.2 quake, we had minor cracking,
and yes the word from the experts is that we are due for a 8 plus
quake in the Vancouver area, which could result in major damage to
cob. A 9 plus, probably most building will come down, but the
interesting thing about our test was, had someone been inside they
would have survived. Some cob chunks fell away from the building
because of the curved nature of the building. They did not fall in.
Also enough of the walls remained to hold the roof up. The shake of a
9 plus quake is violent. It was amazing and I doubt many stick or
brick building would have held up at all. Cob may not totally
collapse, but it would likely be damaged beyond repair. The
engineers, including city engineers were very impressed by cob's
performance in a quake. I think we have gotten over that hurdle with
city officials here in Vancouver. We hope to make the report
available to others when complete.

Ian Marcuse