[Cob] Difference between cob and rammed earth (reinforcing)

laythss at yahoo.com laythss at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 02:37:40 CST 2004

Ian,
   WHat I am trying to do in my thesis, is to see the eligibility of cob
(among other earth buildings) to be used in the mainstream residential
housing.  My only problem (for the general public) is the test that was
made in BC was for a round structure.  A round structure is known to be
stronger than a rectangular structure.  This is all good for the
exception that a round (curved wall) structure is not so much a
main-stream structure.  and yes using rebar might not be the smartest
thing, yet with my limited engineering background I think it is still
better than building with wood or concrete, since they impact the
environment far more than cob or cements/earth rammed earth structures
even if they are rebarrred.
Ocean in regards to rammed earth, the cement/rammed earth uses between
5%-15% cement in it, isn't this better than a 100% cement structure
environmentally. I know it is not the best, but wouldn't be a good
start?

Layth