[Cob] Bargains at Restore

Paul Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 01:50:14 CST 2004

Greetings all---just a few more bargain opportunities,

I'm sure most have heard about Habitat for Humanity (HFH) and all the wonderful things the organization does, but did you know that they actually take in more donations of new and used materials than they can actually use?

About 3 years ago, HFH started to open up retail stores to move their excess building materials and also to be able to receive the BIG donations from the big-box stores.  In new Mexico there are three, one in Belen, Santa Fe and Albuquerque.  The store in Santa Fe has a lot of the more antique materials like doors, door knobs, old counters and the like.  They also have new materials such as paint, ceramic tile, floor tile and some lumber.  On a recent trip to the one in Albuquerque, in addition to the usual bargain prices, they were having a 50% off sale on all electrical and plumbing hardware.  We're talking cases of electrical handy boxes, spools of wire, new lighting fixtures in packages, electrical load centers, and outlets/switches by the case.  Also found were at least 50 new double pane windows priced from $10 for a 2 X  3  to $150 for a sliding door and frame.  Even found large solid wood entry doors that are used as displays at Lowe's and Home Depot for $250 that retail over $1400.

HFH takes in every type of building material so the possibilities are unlimited.  Even picked up 2 ea  15 lb sledges with new handles for $10 ea---humm, now if only I could find someone willing to use them.

Go to http://www.habitat.org/env/restore.aspx and search for the stores in your state.  Be patient and acquire materials in sufficient quantities to finish a particular portion of your project because what you see is what you get and there won't be more like it later----that's why it is such a bargain (not cheap--just didn't cost much).

SANCO Enterprises, LLC
Paul Salas, Gen Mgr
P.O. Box 45741
Rio Rancho, NM  87174