[Cob] skylight design

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:57:43 CST 2004

Wow, most of the year I'd been kind of mourning the destruction of Tony
Wrench's roundhouse, didn't need to be--it's STILL UP, although, as usual,
maybe not for long.  More to the point, he has skylights in his house, which
has a living roof.

You can also look at his book.

There were a handful of things that motivated this house.  CHEAP--recycled
when possible.  SUSTAINABLE (he agonized about using a new manfactured liner
for it, as much as possible came from locally available sources) and
decidedly home-built.  The book (second link) is pretty interesting.  He
truly does walk the talk, more than most of us in the states.

http://website.lineone.net/~tonywrench/index.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-7887725-1522507

Somebody recently, on one or another list I belong to, put up reciprocal
roof with a skylight at the top that had an really nice way of attaching the
skylight..  I can't find it in the bookmarks where it ought to be--second
time today I've looked for it.

Here's a cupola (good strategy to copy for a living roof?) in Australia.
Home done, but not particularly funky, and no living roof.  Plenty pictures,
though

http://middlepath.com.au/temple/cupola.html

And Pat Newberry has his earthbag/superadobe structure with a skylight at
the top.  He may have other skylights as well, since he's pretty big on
daylighting.  And he's on this list.

http://users.pstel.net/goshawk/

Pack McKibben wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has built a skylight? I need
some help designing one that wont leak, can be built
into a living roof, keeps condensation (on the inside glass)
to a minimum, and can be built with mostly salvaged
parts.  Does anyone have any pictures of home built
skylights?