[Cob] cob/earth oven also heating hot tub intake?

tabitha and karl o'melay karl at omelay.com
Thu Dec 30 18:24:27 CST 2004

amanda, what kind of pump are you looking for?

www.stove.ru has some interesting solutions regarding hydronic coils in
masonry heaters similar enough to cob to nick his ideas i think?

k-)

On Dec 30, 2004, at 1:41 PM, Amanda Peck wrote:

More short on space than lazy?

There are some problems I can see:

a) How is the hot water going to get into the tub?  Easiest in some
ways would be thermosyphon but that means that the tub is going to have
to be higher than the oven.  That way it would circulate on its own.
Might have some temperature regulation problems there as well.

Water pressure is easy, but maybe not that easy to regulate the heat in
the tub.

A separate hot water pump might well be the best option.  Let me know
if you find one (I'm looking, but not very hard so far, for
one--non-electric--to run hot water into a large container--20-30
gallons or so--in the attic so hot showers and baths are available
without whole system water pressure--and without toting  emptying
5-gallon buckets of water!).  It could recirculate and be turned off as
necessary.

b) copper pipes, sweated or soldered.  Need lead-free solder if you
solder, need to have the melting temperature of everything WELL ABOVE
the possible maximum temperature of the fire (not just the whole
oven?).  There might also be some problems with expansion and
contraction of your tubing.

c) are you going to want to be able to hot tub without baking, or vice
versa?  I think that recycling heat sounds like a good idea.  And hot
tubs are a great idea.  Although so far I've been thinking about Becky
Bee's cob version for myself.

I could see some sort of moderately complicated damper system to run
the smoke from the oven's chimney under the hot tub, or not, with
another option to just build a fire under the tub?  A two-story
structure--oven at the bottom with tub on top--or just off to the back
on the bank or rock ledge up there.  If there's no handy bank or rock
ledge, there's going to be a lot of heavy building--no little thatch
roof over the oven, especially if one wanted the option to build a fire
under the tub.
Tys wrote (snipped)

I would like to build a cob baking oven and run copper piping through
it,
probably in the middle of the 'fire box' area (so it'd look like a rack
in
the middle of the oven) and this copper pipe would have water flowing
through it that would be attached to the intake/outtake of a hot tub.
I'm
sure most of you know about wood fired hot tubs with the stove as a
separate
unit (not a submersible).   The questions arise:

1. Could the cob oven handle the temperature differences possibly
created by
the water flowing through it?

2. Would having a 'rack' of tubes (I imagine a zig zag pattern) going
through the middle of the oven mess up the fire? The baking?

3. Am I just being too darn lazy?

Cheers,

Tys

Tys Sniffen