[Cob] cob/earth oven also heating hot tub intake?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:36:32 CST 2004

Boiling water might well propel itself along into the hot tub, especially if
it was a (-n unpressurised?) loop.  It might be after the tub was plenty hot
and you tried to turn the heating OFF that you'd run into trouble.  Although
positioning the pipe so that the intake was low enough that the water
wouldn't go out from both ends, leaving an empty pipe in the firebox might
be necessary.

Somebody else mentioned putting coils around/embedded into the cob of the
oven, didn't they?

Wood-stove hot water heaters look from the pictures anyway like they're apt
to be tanks hanging off the stove.  But I've never seen one to look at
carefully.

I got a Kelly Kettle for Christmas.  Cute little job with the kettle part
surrounding the chimney.  There's a small learning curve there.  I didn't
exactly boil my water for tea in 3-5 minutes (guy in the link didn't
either).  But while I was fussing with the thing, I was wondering if that
would be a great idea for using up extra heat to make hot water. In lots
bigger form, of course.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=126
Ed wrote:
     It seems to me that the old wood stove water heaters just used
galvanized
iron and depended on convection to prevent the pipes in contact with the
flames from exploding. Have you checked out water heaters for wood stoves?