Fwd: [Cob] radon and Happy New Year everybody!!

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:24:03 CST 2005

I don't think that the original post went to the list.  But my answer was
general enough that I sent that one to all, having cut out some links that
came to me because I wasn't going to do that at first.

EPA has maps.

Here--scroll down so you aren't tempted to download huge .pdf files:

http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap.html

Kim seems to be in a "don't worry much zone."  I'm in a potentially high
zone but I think it's not "everywhere" but really really spotty locations
that are high.  It all depends on geology.  Limestone areas(presumably Karst
formation--caves and cracks) are the worst.

That's probably true of most of the potentially high areas.  The low areas
are more likely consistently low, although the EPA says that there ARE
occasional pockets of radon even in the low areas.

Here are the details from the Alabama Shoals area from about a year ago--and
that's the most likely area in Alabama to have radon.

http://www.aces.edu/crd/radon/publications/newsarticles/times-daily-1-20-04.htm

Kim wondered:

i'm getting a whole lot more cob emails lately, which is great, but
obviously i'm not getting all of them. what was the radon reference? what
site had maps of radon?