Fwd: [Cob] radon and Happy New Year everybody!!

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 08:23:12 CST 2005

"Tends to rank" is the operative phrase.  IIRC Florence Alabama is fairly
well mapped.  And the map looked like it had measles, not (just) because
parts were not tested for radon.  Consider that the front of your city-sized
lot could be "no radon to speak of" and the back "If you MUST build here
your house has to go up on stilts!"  It all depends on the underlying
geology.  Some areas do require a radon test of your proposed house site.

There are a couple of things called "solar chimney."  But the one of
interest to me is a black box (or collector) set on or into the south side
of your house.  Four outlets, two inside your building, two outside, two at
the top, two at the bottom.  All four with flaps to close them.  Glass
towards the south, insulated on the other three sides.  For ventilation you
open the low inside and the high outside flaps.  And have a vent on the
other side of the house--low if you're trying to exhaust hot air.

There are a couple of places that sell these things for heating--and
somebody had an article in Home Power a few years ago with something on the
same order, all using outside mounted collectors, hoses for the air.  For
heating with the built-in box you open your inside top vent and either of
the bottom ones.  The "off" switch is both outside vents open.

I just read a book about "free stuff from the sun" with the silliest version
of this I've heard of.  Hang a black plastic bag in front of a south-facing
window.  You do have to make  sure that the curtain rod is well out from the
wall, and the bottom likewise is not sealed.  I'm sure it works.  Not so
sure if we want plastic bags outgassing in the sun in our houses.  Might be
counterproductive if you have a high thermal mass floor.

I'm told that people trying for the annual heat (and cooling!) storage
strategies sometimes use these if they live in high mold or radon areas,
although if you have to use one, you don't get the nice fresh air coming
through the house from underground.  There are a couple of sites, but Don
Stephens is one of the people doing some serious current thinking (and
there's an article in the frame that isn't there!):

http://www.greenershelter.com/
Joyce wrote (snipped)

But, of particular note was a national map on the EPA site showing regional
levels by county in each state along with a scale -- red counties being the
most at risk.

While it is good to know that my county tends to rank below the "danger"
level, my awareness level is important.