[Cob] frozen cob

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Sun Jan 2 21:02:02 CST 2005

From: Amanda Peck
Subject: Re: [Cob] frozen cob
>>Snip<< Not enough clay? (I'd have thought that the other way was more common)

Clay is an issue here in the mountains. According to the extension service we have none. That has been proven wrong. There are numerous potter communities here but you really have to look to find a rich clay deposit. It seems that over the eons all of our clay has washed down the mountain into the piedmont of NC and TN! I've been lucky in that my subsoil has just enough clay and sand that very little needs to be added either way.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com