[Cob] frozen cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 2 10:16:05 CST 2005

Good.  It sounded like Jane's (in Denmark) damage was fixable as well.

Not enough clay? (I'd have thought that the other way was more common)
Phil wrote:

I went and took a look at the wall in question. The damage was not that bad.
It was decided that we would try several different experiments in the
spring. 1) lime paster just the cob mortar. 2) lime paster the first three
or four feet of the wall, including the cordwood. 3) try coating the cob
with a linseed/beeswax/turpentine mix. 4) Try using clapboard on the knee of
the wall. The roof does stick out two feet all the way around but that will
not protect it from the wind driven rain we so often have here. Another
issue is that the cob in question may not have had enough clay in it.