[Cob] frozen cob

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Sun Jan 2 09:50:59 CST 2005

I went and took a look at the wall in question. The damage was not that bad. It was decided that we would try several different experiments in the spring. 1) lime paster just the cob mortar. 2) lime paster the first three or four feet of the wall, including the cordwood. 3) try coating the cob with a linseed/beeswax/turpentine mix. 4) Try using clapboard on the knee of the wall. The roof does stick out two feet all the way around but that will not protect it from the wind driven rain we so often have here. Another issue is that the cob in question may not have had enough clay in it.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques